Disable existing Microsoft Outlook signatures using a Group Policy (GPO)
You have configured the Opensense email signature for Office 365 for your company. However, some of your team members still find previous Microsoft Outlook signatures applied. You want to disable their existing Outlook signatures and avoid getting previous signatures put onto future emails.
You can easily remove Outlook signatures from individual users. However, to disable the signature for all the users you need to follow the below steps.
Steps to disable Microsoft Outlook signatures using a GPO:
- Select Start > Administrative Tools > Group Policy Management to launch the Group Policy Management Console.
- The Office Administration Template should be downloaded and extracted according to the Microsoft Outlook version that is being used in your company.
Note: You need to download an Administration Template for each version of Outlook if your company uses more than one Outlook version. The download link for the Administration Template is given at the bottom of this page.
- In the required domain, create a new GPO.
- For each Microsoft Outlook version being utilized in your environment, enable the necessary setting(s).:
Outlook 2013 and 2016
Create a new Group Policy (GPO)
To add a new GPO to the domain:
- Choose the appropriate domain, and click the 'Action' menu, and select 'Create a GPO in this domain, and Link it here...'. Alternatively, you can right-click on the domain and select 'Create a GPO in this domain, and Link it here...'
- Enter the new Group Policy Object (GPO) name in the New GPO window and click 'OK'.
- Right-click on the new GPO and click 'Edit'
- Expand 'User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates' and select 'Administrative Templates'
- Choose 'Action > Add / Remove Templates...'
- Select 'Add', and navigate where the Microsoft Outlook templates were extracted during GPO creation:
Note: Copy outlkxx.admx and outlkxx.adml to the required language folders (C:WindowsPolicyDefinitions and C:WindowsPolicyDefinitionsen-US, respectively).
Microsoft Outlook Version
2016, 2019, Office 365 ProPlus
Here xx is 15 for Outlook 2013 and 16 for Outlook 2016.
- Select Close.
- Navigate to the necessary setting(s) for each Microsoft Outlook version being used in your environment, and enable them:
- For Microsoft Outlook 2013 and 2016
Microsoft Outlook 2013 and 2016To enable settings for Microsoft Outlook 2013 and 2016:
- Navigate to 'Microsoft Outlook 2013 (or Microsoft Outlook 2016)> Outlook Options > Mail Format'.
- On the right-hand side, enable the 'Do not allow signatures for e-mail messages' settings to disable the signatures in Microsoft Outlook 2013 (or Microsoft Outlook 2016):Note: This will disable the signature options and prevent adding of Outlook signatures. However, the exisiting signature file will remain in the client computers which needs to be deleted manually.
Links to download Office Administration TemplateLinks to download the appropriate version(s) of the Office Administration Template for the Microsoft Outlook versions
Microsoft Office Version
2016, 2019, Office 365 ProPlus